Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pump Session: Isn't She Lovely

Dear Haven,

Tonight is your two week birthday. Tonight at 9:20 we were busy burping you, coaching you to "burp like Puppy Zoe" (for Zoe knows and always burps after she eats, which signals to your dad and I to reach for a towel and wipe off her big sloppy, flappy jowls before she either shakes her head or wipes it on our legs). Two weeks ago at 9:20, I gave birth to you with all my might and it was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. I sobbed once I knew you had been born, overwhelmed, exhausted, and exhilarated. I don't know if I have the words really to describe that moment, the moment of a new life's arrival, of your arrival, but what a gift.

Tonight, after you did successfully burp like the dog (well, not quite as big or impressively as the dog, but soon you'll catch up to her), you fell asleep against my chest. Quietly, peacefully. And for as sad as I am that your first two weeks have been spent in an uncomfortable, bland hospital, there was a moment tonight where the quiet little radio in the room was playing Stevie Wonder's song "Isn't She Lovely?" And it felt so wonderful to hold you, breathing together, and think about how lovely, how wonderful you are to us.

Sleep well. Grow big and strong tonight.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Something I always appreciate about you is that you take the time to notice the little things, appreciate the smallest moments and just cherish those times. I really can't imagine how difficult these past two weeks have been for you when you had hoped it would have all been so different. I suppose it's all part of life's lessons. I know Haven will be home soon and that will be such a special day! I can't wait to meet her and to see you as a mom! Love you! And I think you're Lovely too! Nicole

Olivia Hein said...

i am grateful that you are taking time to reflect and appreciate those quiet moments with Haven. And I'm glad that you're writing about those times.

Because when Haven is 24 years old, newly graduated from college, she will love to re-read these passages about how her mom held her close and watched her sleep and breathe. :)

Jamie said...

i love this message to her. you are such a wonderful mother and I can't wait for more stories and more reflections on this GREAT adventure of motherhood. you are loved and cherished.