Friday, June 13, 2008

Ugh

I scratched my eye today. Don't even ask me how because I can't believe I didn't BLINK in time. Okay fine, I was untangling a rope, the end of it (with the plastic tape on it) flipped up and hit me in the eye before I had time to blink. I didn't blink. I thought our reflexes were supposed to be fast enough to prevent these sorts of things?

I went to the eye doctor and it is indeed scratched, right in the center of my eye. Part of it is superficial (nearest the center of my eye) and part of it is quite deep (further out). The deep part will most likely scar, which could create vision problems depending on how the scarring shapes up. I realize that scars can be cool, but a scar on the eye means no one can see it but me. All the time.

So, here's to speedy healing as I sleep and rest. Here's to not much effect from the scarring. And here's hoping for no headaches the next few days.

Update, Sat AM: Apparently, sleep really is a good healer and eyes heal quickly (I should have remembered this from eye surgery). My eye feels MUCH better this morning and my vision seems fine or better, at least. WooHoo!

On a better note - I head to the mountains of southern Oregon tomorrow morning for a week-long contemplative retreat. I'm so excited. There aren't even words to tell you how excited. I often joke that this is where my soul lives - in the Northwest - and I'm only partly joking when I say that.

Fresh mountain pine air - here I come.

4 comments:

Yeti said...

BUMMER Karla! I am so sorry it was scratched!! I blame James ;-)

Erika Haub said...

So sorry about your eye!!!

So glad for your trip. Boy, enjoy all that silence...

Oh, and say hi to my soul when you see her :)

Unknown said...

I hope you have a fantastic time!!

Olivia Hein said...

i'm so glad that your vision wasn't damaged! it would have been awful to have to have gone thru the surgery just to have it damaged again!

glad your peepers are good again!