Monday, April 21, 2008

Strawberries

The other day I was slicing strawberries to eat with my yogurt.  As I was slicing, using my thumb as a stop for the knife as it slid through the strawberry, I realized that I was cutting the strawberry the way my mother would, the way I had always watched her cut fruit and quick and easy vegetables. I was usually in awe of my mom when she would do this, mostly because she still had both of her thumbs fully in tact.  I didn't understand how she could move the knife so deftly, cutting quickly but stopping just before slicing a finger.   And it's not that I was in awe of her as a kid - no, it's been in my adult life that I didn't think I'd ever cut a strawberry without a cutting board.   And then, there I was, cutting a strawberry just like my mom would.  When did that happen?

2 comments:

Olivia Hein said...

last summer i caught myself cooking dinner with a dishtowel thrown over my right shoulder. My mom used to this all the time growing up and I always thought it was weird that she would answer the front door with a dishtowel over her shoulder.

I totally do that now.

but of all the traits you could pick up from a person, i think slicing strawberries quickly without cutting yourself is a pretty darn good one to pick up. :)

WanderingellimaC said...

i love those aha! moments. they are the best. especially when they remind you of home :)